The Kansas City Civic Orchestra seeks a Music Director who will guide the orchestra in the fulfillment of its musical potential and promote its image in the community. KCCO, now entering its 57th season, is composed of approximately 90 volunteer musicians.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated effective musical and personal leadership skills. The Music Director is encouraged to explore diversity in repertoire and imaginative programming ideas that will be of significance to the musicians in the orchestra, the occasion, and the community.
Compensation is set by the Board of Directors. A detailed job description and further information on the orchestra may be found below. Inquiries may be directed to the KCCO board of directors at email@example.com.
Final conducting candidates will be invited to rehearse/perform with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra in March (rehearsals begin mid Jan.) or April of 2016 (rehearsals begin in mid-March).
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Letter of intent (include a “community orchestra philosophy”)
- Curriculum Vitae (include repertoire list)
- A sample programming document (2 classical, 1 pops-style)
- List of at least 3 references
Application Deadline: June 5, 2015
Mail application materials to:
ATTN: KCCO Conductor Search
P.O. Box 224 Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
Email applications firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Job Description
Music Director – Kansas City Civic Orchestra an organization of approximately 90 volunteer musicians founded in 1957
Job Description: Through effective musical and personal leadership the Music Director is expected to:
- motivate and elicit the best efforts of the orchestra musicians
- explore diversity in repertoire and in the experience of music making
- develop imaginative programming ideas that will have significance to the orchestra, the occasion, and the community
- build and sustain the orchestra’s visibility and involvement in the community
- engage in collaborative ventures with other community groups and organizations
Duties and Responsibilities: The Music Director is expected to engage in the following responsibilities and activities:
- Select the specific programs for the season’s three Classical Series concerts, November Pops/Children’s Program (2 performances) and holiday Sounds of the Season (2 performances). The programs and the dates chosen for the subsequent season must be presented to, and approved by, the Board of Directors prior to the final concert of the current season. Efforts shall be made to check all rehearsal/audition/dress rehearsal/concert dates with Atonement Lutheran Church or other venue, if appropriate.
- Strongly desired to develop and present pre-concert talks for Classical Series concerts.
- Engage soloists as needed in accordance with the budget and with the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Work with the board to borrow, rent or purchase music for the programs of the orchestra in accordance with the budget of the orchestra.
- Communicate music needs to KCCO Librarian.
- Work with principal players in KCCO to fill vacant instrumentation needs (ie. Harp, Bass Clarinet, etc.)
- Organize a schedule of weekly rehearsals of two hours each on Tuesday evenings ((currently 7:30-9:30 pm) from late August – early May with an additional dress rehearsal (Saturday morning) for Classical Series performances.
- Conduct all rehearsals and performances.
- Organize audition and admit new orchestra members. Work with string section coordinators/principals to develop a seating plan that takes into consideration the musical skills of members, balancing their enjoyment in making music with the quality of the musical presentation.
- Assist the board in preparation for performances by developing materials such as program notes, seating plans, and arranging for concert venues and necessary equipment.
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Board of Directors. At each meeting of the Board present a Music Director’s report and participate in planning and development of performances, the annual budget, fundraising activities and other activities of the orchestra and board.
- Assist in the general promotion of the orchestra and in publicizing performances by being available for interviews and public appearances, as appropriate.
- Organize and facilitate the KCCO annual Concerto Competition. Choose a judges panel (including music director) for auditions and winner selection.
- KCCO is a registered 501(c) 3 organization.
- The Music Director is a contracted employee of KCCO
- Compensation (based on experience and with Board of Director approval)