The Kansas City Civic Orchestra is excited to host its inaugural concerto/aria competition. Auditions will take place on Saturday, January 10, 2015. The winner will perform with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra’s season finale concert on Saturday, May 2, 2015.
How to enter
- Please read the competition rules below
- Download the application form
- Obtain a recommendation from music instructor
- Mail form and $25 application fee to: Kansas City Civic Orchestra, P.O. Box 224, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
Applications must be received by December 15, 2014.
Competition rules and guidelines
*Please Read Carefully*
- Competition Audition Date is: Saturday, January 10, 2015 (Atonement Lutheran Church)
- The Concerto/Aria competition is for ages 13 – 19.
- Perform a solo orchestral work that is no less than 13 minutes and no greater than 25 minutes in length from memory (can be a movement from a standard concerto or a multi movement work. Vocal applicants may choose to sing multiple arias.)
- Audition time slots will be up to 15 minute intervals (cuts are acceptable for the audition).
- The competition is open to all instrumentalists/voice types (except piano & saxophone).
- 1st place winner will receive a performance with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra on Saturday, May 2, 2015 and a prize of $250.00.
- 2nd place may receive acknowledgement at our March 13, 2015 performance.
- Kansas City Civic Orchestra reserves the right to have both 1st and 2nd place winners perform on the May 2015 concert.
- Winner(s) must be available for rehearsals on: Tuesday, April 21 & 28 (between 7:30pm – 9:30pm) and Saturday, May 2 (between 9:00am – 3:00pm).
- All room/board/transportation is at the expense of the competition participant.
- The $25.00 application fee is non-refundable
- Audition date/time/place is non-negotiable.
- An audition time will be emailed to participant within one week of the application deadline.
- Competition participants must supply their respective instrument at audition/performance.
- Competition participants must supply their own accompanist at audition.
- Judges may come from within or guests of the Kansas City Civic Orchestra.
- Winner selection will be announced/emailed at the end of the audition day.
- Competition winner decision is final.
- The Kansas City Civic Orchestra can decide not to award winners/prizes.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines and rules may result in participant’s disqualification.